Chinese People

China is a large united multi-national country, 56 ethnic groups live in China. These numerous ethnic groups share China's vast lands but at the same time many live in their individual communities. The relationships between them have been formed over many years. Among them Han Chinese account for 91.59% of the overall Chinese population and the other 55 ethnic groups make up the remaining 8.41% according to the Fifth National Population Census of 2000. As the combined population of these other minorities is far fewer than that of the Han, they form the 55 minorities of China. Here lists 56 Ethnic Groups in China:

Chinese Han People
With a population of 1159.4 million, the Han Chinese can be found in almost every part of China. However, they mainly live in the middle and lower reaches of the Yellow River, Yangtze River and the Pearl River, and also in the Northeast Plain Region (Songliao Plain). They form the largest ethnic group within China and also the largest in the world. The Han people have their own distinctive way of life.
For years, they together with other ethnic minorities lived mainly on agriculture, and made outstanding achievements in the spheres of politics, philosophy, art, literature and natural science.

18 Minorities with its population over one million
Population with over 10,000,000: Zhuang, Manchu
Population with over   5,000,000 : Hui,Miao,Uygur,tujia,Yi,Monglol,Zang(Tibetan)
Population with over 1,000,000 : Buyei,Dong,Yao,Chaoxian( Korean),Bai,Hani,Kazak, Li,Dai

                              Zhuang                                Manchu                                Hui
Shanjiang Miao Village Tujia ethnic minority in Hunan
                                      Miao                                 Uygur                                Tujia
                                         Yi                                     Mongol                           Zang (Tibetan)
                                          Buyei                                           Dong                               Yao
                          Chaoxian( Korean)                                       Bai                            Hani
                                  Kazak                                        Li                                Dai

Other 37 Minorities in China

Achang Gin Mongba Tatur
Balang Hezhe Naxi Tagik
Bonan Jingpo Nu Wa
Daur Jino Oroqin Xibe
Deang Kirgiz Primi Wuzbek
Dongxiang Lahu Qiang Yugur
Dulong Lisu Russ  
Ewenki Luoba Salar  
Gaoshan Maonan She  
Gelao Mulam Shui  


Ask Questions ?